Tuesday, August 19, 2008

36-Year-Old Christina Applegate - Double Mastectomy

I thought that this article about Christina Applegate was interesting. (Article on MSNBC). After her diagnosis with Breast Cancer, she decided to have a double mastectomy after also learning that she tested positive for the BRCA1 gene. This meant that she had her healthy breast removed at the same time as her cancerous breast. In the article she jokes that after her reconstruction is finished she'll have the perkiest breasts around!

I really commend Christina for making that decision. I'm sure it was agonizing to make. I will also be tested for the BRCA1 gene and if that test is postive, it is likely that I too will have my good breast removed and then do reconstruction on both of them.

But unlike Christina, I wasn't ready to say goodbye to both of them. I am glad that I still have one. Maybe it is baby steps, but it was right for me.

My hat is off to her and others like us who are forced to make such difficult decisions, and then do it with grace, style, humor, and positive energy. We are pretty amazing women if I do say so myself.

I feel great today, how about you? Be sure and give yo momma a hug today, okay?

I see my Oncologist later this afternoon. I'll report in about what he says.

My love to all - Jen

No comments: