Thursday, July 10, 2008

Five Weeks In; No Game Plan and None in Sight

Saw another surgeon today. He is associated with the hospital in my town and came recommended by the Oncologist that I saw last week. The visit was just so-so, I'll spare you the details. However, when we went to schedule a possible date for surgery ... surprise! My insurance doesn't cover surgery at that hospital.

So, to recap, my insurance covers surgeons who work at the hospital the insurance company doesn't cover, but the insurance doesn't cover any surgeons at the hospital where I can have surgery. How's that for a pretty good racket?

Ah the hilarity. That literally leaves me with absolutely nowhere to go to get this cancer out of me. Five weeks and still no game plan. I have a call into the Cancer Treatment Centers of America, but I am not hopeful.

So, the options are, do nothing and hope for the best. Treat myself with alternative therapies and hope the cancer goes away or at least doesn't spread. Or pay for the surgery myself at my local hospital. (Sure thing! Let me just run and get my checkbook.)

I told my girls afterward that my work has been hanging in limbo for over a month now and that I have to get back to it. I am a self-employed single mom who runs a busy business and who has agents and clients who depend upon me to show up and work everyday. If I don't work, I don't get paid. So, cancer in tow, that's what I'll do for now.

Here's hoping for a better day tomorrow. Jen

No comments: