Thursday, July 3, 2008

Compassion at Long Last

Information and kindness has arrived in the form of Dr. Hanson, white-haired Oncologist at McKay Dee Hospital. He and his wonderful physician's assistant (who's name I actually did not catch) were unbelievably compassionate and actually gave me information that I can use. AND, they treated me like I am a whole person with thoughts and concerns and questions. In the end, the doctor gave me some options and then .... drum roll please .... asked me what *I* wanted to do. What a novel idea!

It seems that it should always be that way, especially with those of us who come armed with mega amounts of knowledge about the whole thing (thank goodness for the Internet) and are ready to have a good decisive discussion about the various options. The relief in my daughters' faces was as close to heaven as I could get.

Unfortunately there is nothing for me to decide yet, because I have still another appointment with another Dr. However, one month after diagnosis, we finally feel we are on our way.

No comments: