Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Juicing Queen

The thing about getting cancer and having to wait for many weeks for a diagnosis and prognosis is that it gives you a lot of time to think. And search the Internet. As I have mentioned before, I came across a website which has been my rock throughout this ordeal. When 32-year-old Kris Carr was diagnosed with incurable liver cancer, she started a social networking site called My Crazy Sexy Life for people with cancer and other debilitating diseases to trade information, chat, and educate each other.

And in my case, I learned fast and got a good education. I've learned so much there that it's still hard for me to assimilate it all. However, the one thing that I let sink into my stubborn noggin is that I don't have to sit around and wait for somebody else to do something about my situation. There is a lot I can be doing to reverse my bad health, and then stabilize it for the future.

After researching and encouragement from friends at Kris's site, I bought an Omega 8005 juicer. I've learned that humans can get full protein from living foods (plants) and that ingesting animal products is a direct causative for cancer and many other ailments. I took this information and cross checked it, researched it, and came to the obvious conclusion that eating compassionately is the way our bodies want to eat, were born to eat, and the way to ensure incredible, optimal human health.

Soooo, even though I don't really like vegetables OR fruits I dug in and began to juice. Thankfully my online posse provided endless green juicing and green smoothie recipes, along with other amazing raw recipes. I actually LOVE the juice that I make, and am putting things into it that I would never have eaten otherwise. Vegetables taste different when they are juiced, and not in a bad way!

Here's my typical morning recipe:

1 big cucumber (substitute zucchini if making for Liz)
2 - 4 celery stalks
1 apple
1 lemon
2 leaves kale
2 carrots
hemp protein powder
powdered milk thistle

It is so delicious! It also gives me about a 2-hour buzz in the morning after I drink it. Since I've been juicing (twice daily, then a third vegan meal like potato leek soup and vegan spring rolls) I've lost all of my aches and pains, I no longer retain water, my chronic sinus pain/allergies are gone completely, I am no longer tired with malaise, I no longer use any deodorant (think about it, there's no "smelly" waste this way), I have way more energy, and I am sleeping like a baby. That's a big deal for this chronic insomniac!

Many of the peeps at Kris's site are devoting their lives to this idea of eating compassionately. It certainly isn't a new concept to me. One of my heroes, Liz Bunker, has been a devoted vegetarian for 12 years. She is a roll model and an unbelievable help to me in the journey. She has quietly lived her compassionate beliefs through the most egregious of questions, probing, and downright disapproval from friends, family and strangers. I really could not have made the journey without her.

Here's to a long and "fruitful" life!

Peas - Jen

No comments: