Saturday, June 14, 2008

What Does Cancer Feel Like?

A friend asked me what having cancer feels like. I told her it doesn't feel like anything. Physically anyway.

But your head changes. Your head says that cancer feels like death. Your head thinks that way because that is the way that the world taught it to think. The fear-based world.

So, I went with that for a while. I wasn't really scared, but I did think over my recently created family trust account. Was it in good order? Anything else I needed to add in? What about a burial plot? Should I get one? Would I hurt at the end? Who will pluck my chin hairs and color my gray roots when I can't anymore? You know, that kind of stuff.

Then I decided 47 is too young to die. Surely there must be an alternative.

I thought about my friends and family. I carefully watched their reactions to my news and discovered that I have a strong, no-nonsense, ready-to-do-battle team standing right behind me.

I thought a lot about simple things. The sky is bluer today, did I have those flowers last year, wow that tastes good. Stuff like that.

Then it dawned on me. Cancer feels like a paradigm shift. A new opportunity. A means to refocus a meandering life journey. A new appreciation of those that I love. A chance to give the gift of giving. An excuse to eat more shushi. And many more new medical terms to Google.

That's what cancer feels like to me.

1 comment:

Jill said...

You have a great attitude, Jennifer, and that's about 90% of it.
I agree with everything you said about shifting your consciousness. Suddenly you feel grateful for all you have and you stop sweating the small stuff.
The protocol I'm following is an enzyme therapy with Dr. Gonzalez. His website is http://dr-gonzalez.com.
I take high doses of pancreatic enzymes, supplements, coffee enemas, and detoxification cleanses.
If you read through some of my older posts I tell what a typical day's like. It's not easy, but it's working.
I also follow a strict organic, raw, vegan diet with lots of juicing and green smoothies. I feel healthier than I ever have in my life.
It's great to meet you and I'm rooting for you too!
By the way, did you join Crazy, Sexy Life? If you haven't, you should. The link is on my blog page.
I'm sending you prayers and energy for beating this thing!
Jill